Highlands Playhouse is the second oldest theatre in North Carolina and considered one of the jewels of the community. The “living theatre” came to Highlands over 75 years ago to serve as a gathering place for all who love live entertainment, served up by professional actors and other performers who make it their passion. In the summer of 1938, a group of Highlanders presented a play for one performance in the Playhouse building. The theatre itself was built in 1931 as an auditorium for the Highlands School. When the present Highlands School was opened in 1952, the Town of Highlands acquired the auditorium building. Every summer since 1938, with the exception of two years during World War II, there has been a season of plays here at the Playhouse.